Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Garden Update..........

Walk through the gates to the Garden for the Blue Fountain Farmer's Market ..........
 


.......an ever changing and growing project!  I never would have believed that I could have so much fun  creating and maintaining a vegetable and flower garden - since I've never done this before, but it's a blast!  Sure, I've always loved "gardening", but it's the landscaping variety, where you go buy plants in 6 packs, or 5 gallon containers, plant them in what you hope are appropriate places, water them occasionally, and hope they stay happy and healthy so you can enjoy seeing them on a regular basis.  But this - this is different.  I've never planted seeds before, never seen them sprout through the ground, and I've certainly never eaten something that I "created".

I'm saying "I", but this project has required the help of a lot of great people - from Seth inspiring me to take this project on and being the "this is how you do it" teacher, to Leon building the above awesome gate, to Sherry and Bob and Mary and Phil and Tim helping with the weeding, planting and picking - I couldn't do it all myself, that's for sure!  And I can always use more help (hint, hint!)  
    


This is an all-from-scratch, work-with-what-you've-got, as well as a learn-as-you-go endeavor.  It's, as they say, a work in progress.    


We've been selling our "Gourmet Mix" lettuce to rave reviews............



as well as the Snow Peas and Beets.........



I love the look of the purple kohlrabi, and hear that it's great to eat - haven't tried it myself yet  ..........



Because of the late, cool weather, we had to wait to plant more crops - herbs, squash, cucumbers, corn, tomatoes, peppers, etc. - oh, and all the flowers as well - but they are all coming up and I'm counting on more great food coming our way.


In the meantime, we're getting the big, red truck ready, little by little, to eventually be our store-front.  For my birthday awhile back I received a great sign from all my friends and customers  for the Market and Garden......... 



and I'm having fun with all sorts of gizmos and gadgets to add fun and color to the garden............





This kind of peacock doesn't cause any problems!!



and, while they're probably not keeping the gophers away, these fans are fun..............



Sooooooooo, for those of you who think that my only place is in the arena or on the back of a horse, surprise!  It's a new venue for me, but I'm loving it!   

2 comments:

  1. What a great story and congratualtions on creating a beautiful garden. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter